Predictions for Autumn, Fall Woman Fashion for 2011



The Fall Autumn 2011 Aviator Look
So what is on offer in terms of fashion for Autumn 2011 (or Fall if you're from across the Atlantic)? What will the cool girls be wearing as the weather gets colder?  Here are Gina’s thoughts about what clothes to wear when the leaves begin to fall.  Notice I didn’t say ‘buy’.  In these cash-strapped times its great to try to recycle what you already have.  Another budget-saving idea is to seek out some quality garments on the second hand market.  These can be supplemented with a few new purchases to give your look an authentic 2011 feel.

The Aviator and Military Look

Fortunately the modern fashion world tends to recycle styles so last Winter’s Aviator Look is almost certain to return again this Fall along with the Military coats and jackets.  Leather coats and bomber jackets also feature in the autumn collections and you can bet your bottom dollar that trench coats will be out there somewhere too.

You may notice my take on fashion is fairly simplistic and practical.  I find that many ‘professional’ fashion writers are so far off the planet that I can’t even understand what they are trying to say.  Fashion, like many other areas of modern life has its own secret language. “You mean bulls**t?”, I hear someone whisper. 

This article is fashion writing for the girl next door, on a limited budget, who can’t afford to spend her life on the catwalks of Europe throwing away several thousand dollars on a small bag and a pair of shoes.  Enough about me.  Back to Autumn fashion.     

1970s and the Maxi Dress

Another continuing trend is the maxi dress that has been around all this Summer.  Maxis were born in the 1970s and the experts predict the 70s will be big again this Winter.

The Original Dallas Cast - with Shoulder Pads!
 “Oh no, not the Dynasty/Dallas thing again,” I hear you say “Gargantuan shoulder pads and Sue Ellen’s angry, blackrimmed, smoldering eyes”.  I’m afraid I can’t remember back that far so ‘Who Shot JR? ’means nothing to me!

Jumpsuits are back but typically in prints rather than the single colours of the past.  Playsuits are also mentioned by the fashionistas.  These are basically jumpsuits with less material.  Think shorts and brief little top suitable for the beach or bedroom.  Even the name sounds a little bit naughty – exactly what kind of play is implied, anyway?

Incidentally, shear maxi dresses are a trend predicted to continue into the Winter months.  Personally, I’m a little fed up with showing my fabulous legs in minis and shorts and look forward to keeping one of my better features hidden (except for special occasions of a more intimate nature).  I’m of an age when I want people, and men in particular, to take me more seriously.  A see through maxi seems almost a contradiction.

Felt hat and a Midi Dress with a 1970s feel
Bohemian Rapsody?

Along with maxi skirts and dresses expect to see the bohemian look.  Think floppy felt hats and exotic, chunky jewellery.  Huge chokers on girly necks are predicted this Autumn.  Look out for wide metal neckbands and thick leather collars adorned with feathers. Super high platform shoes are also on the cards.  I think I’ll pass on this one, I’m scared of heights!  
Chuncky Chokers will be big in Fall Autumn 2011
What else? Slinky gowns and the Femme Fatale look.  I’m really into Femme Fatal and Film Noir style.  Retro fashion at its best in my opinion!  Check out the link to read more.

Also, wide-leg pants or flares with a high waist, given more shape with a serious belt.  Then there are blouses with a bow (no thank you!) and billowing sleeves.  Look out for silks and satins and roll neck sweaters tucked into pants or skirts. 

Knitwear but not like Granny Knitted in the 1970s!
Knitwear but not like Nanny Knitted!

Yes knitwear is back but hopefully not those awful 70s monstrosities that granny knitted from a pattern in a women’s magazine.  Bad enough on the unfortunate, slender model on the printed page but a total disaster on a teenager with puppy fat when knitted by short-sighted Gran who got the measurements all wrong!

Hot pants are also mentioned.  As I’ve said before I’ve had enough of short shorts and I don’t intend to freeze my petite derriere (bum or butt if you prefer) in the depths of an English winter.

Autum Fall Colours - think Vermont!
A bit far out for me but the Glamour Goth look and even Punk are also mentioned.  So expect lots of dark eye shadow and black fabric.  Also don’t forget Faux Fur (I know you want to!).  Call me a traditionalist but I like Fall colors.  You Americans think Vermont for your inspiration.  Give me coppery shades, gentle greens and yellows for my Autumn wardrobe.

Finally, I know all this talk of Fall seems a bit premature, particularly if you are sweating in the garden or back yard in only shorts and a teeshirt, but its never too early to plan your winter wardrobe.  Check out what is on offer on the web. Also, Ebay is a great place to seek out some second hand antique clothes or new bargains to complete your Autumn or Fall 2011 fashion wardrobe.

No comments:

Post a Comment